Re: v2.2.24 structural object class modification not allowed

At 11:49 AM 4/29/2005, Curt Blank wrote:
>More then willing to do that, been trying to to that on a lot of this stuff, but where? I'm not an expert on this stuff by any means, I wish I could find someplace that explains all this in layman terms, as of yet I have not found that place...

Well, if you cannot find a good reference in the OpenLDAP
FAQ <http://www.openldap.org/faq/>, I suggest you ask
assistance on a general list about LDAP.   See
<http://www.openldap.org/lists/> and its references
for suggestions here.

>Or will I have to dump and reload LDAP.

First, I'm not advocating any schema design, or even any schema
design approach, here.  How to design schema in general, or in
face of a particular clients needs, is not terribly specific
to OpenLDAP Software (and a topic for more general forums).
One just needs to adhere to the LDAP/X.500 models regardless
of what server one uses.  Assuming your server enforces all
aspects of the LDAP/X.500 models is, generally, a poor
assumption.

That said, I do believe it generally appropriate when using
slapd(8) to dump and reload data after making significant
schema changes.  This not only ensures the data is conformant
(to the degree the server checks conformance) to the current
schema, but ensures that any details within the server dependent
on old data and/or old schema are flushed out.

Kurt