Re: Backup and bdb-logfile removal

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Thursday, April 10, 2008 3:26 PM +0200 Peter Mogensen <apm@mutex.dk> wrote:
How to remove log files without making catastropic recovery impossible ?

You can't.
I.e., I find having replicas a much more effective disaster recovery mechanism than log files that are susceptible to other problems.

Ok... I get that. Replicas are good for recovery.

However I still would expect that there were some way to retire very old log files by creating a backup snapshot representing the state at some point in time and deleting all log files which decribed transactions included in that state.

...and then later do recovery with that snapshot and the newer log files from the active environment.

Are you saying that to be safe you have to keep the log.000000001 _for ever_ ?

If so, I think the FAQ needs an update.

regards,
Peter