Re: Backup and bdb-logfile removal

--On Thursday, April 10, 2008 3:26 PM +0200 Peter Mogensen <apm@mutex.dk> wrote:

Gavin Henry wrote:
I can see that I can delete unused log files (db_archive [no options])
from the backup. But when is it safe to remove log files from the
active environment?

Let auto-archive do that for you.

Ok.. then I guess, I'm confused by the repeated warnings like:

"To have them removed automatically, place set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE
directive in DB_CONFIG. Note that if the log files are removed
automatically, recovery after a catastrophic failure is likely to be
impossible."

and:

"Automatic log file removal is likely to make catastrophic recovery
impossible."

How to remove log files without making catastropic recovery impossible ?

You can't. That's why you slapcat periodically so you have an alternative. Not that I personally have ever hit a catastrophic event in the years I've been using OpenLDAP where the log files would have helped in any way. I.e., disk failure? -- logs are useless if they were on the disk that failed. And in that case, I just slapcat a different replica and slapadd it onto the server with the failed disk once it has been replaced. I.e., I find having replicas a much more effective disaster recovery mechanism than log files that are susceptible to other problems.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer