Re: Have you seen this FUD - IT pros suffer OpenLDAP configuration headaches ?

Michael StrÃder wrote:
Mike Jackson wrote:
I have built a fully automated installation system directly using cn=config. I
have a file called config.ldif which contains a lot of %%MACROS%% and a tiny
perl script that replaces those macros with actual values depending on the
details of the particular installation. So, there isn't any of this silliness
of creating slapd.conf, converting it into cn=config, and then continuing -
that's an unnecessary step.

After I generate the real config.ldif from the template config.ldif, I simply
load it with slapadd to build my cn=config hierarchy.

slapadd \
   -n0 \
   -v \
   -F ${CONF_DIR} \
   -l ldifs/config.ldif

When using slapadd to fully load cn=config you have to stop your slapd during
that. So this is definitely *not* how cn=config is supposed to be operated.

Perfectly fine for bootstrapping the initial config though.

Also when mucking directly with the LDIF you loose slapd's capability of input
validation.

You can muck with input to slapadd all you want. It will still get basic validation.

--
  -- Howard Chu