Re: Have you seen this FUD - IT pros suffer OpenLDAP configuration headaches ?

Howard Chu wrote:
> Michael StrÃder wrote:
>> Mike Jackson wrote:
>>> I have built a fully automated installation system directly using cn=config. I
>>> have a file called config.ldif which contains a lot of %%MACROS%% and a tiny
>>> perl script that replaces those macros with actual values depending on the
>>> details of the particular installation. So, there isn't any of this silliness
>>> of creating slapd.conf, converting it into cn=config, and then continuing -
>>> that's an unnecessary step.
>>>
>>> After I generate the real config.ldif from the template config.ldif, I simply
>>> load it with slapadd to build my cn=config hierarchy.
>>>
>>> slapadd \
>>>    -n0 \
>>>    -v \
>>>    -F ${CONF_DIR} \
>>>    -l ldifs/config.ldif
>>
>> When using slapadd to fully load cn=config you have to stop your slapd during
>> that. So this is definitely *not* how cn=config is supposed to be operated.
>
> Perfectly fine for bootstrapping the initial config though.

But the main argument for cn=config in this discussion is *modifying* the
configuration of a running server without taking it down. So Mike's arguing
with boot-strapping with slapadd is clearly a contradiction.

IMO this is one of the main problems of OpenLDAP admins with cn=config,
besides lack of comments, missing support for deletion etc.:
Many of the instructions on the mailing list how to use back-config are not
really consequent. And sorry that I have to repeat my statement, this is a bit
consequence of the design. And i might be worth to rethink some aspects of it.

In the past you've argued that one should point out issues more clearly. But
people will only put effort into it if there is some willingness shown by you
to really consider suggestions.

>> Also when mucking directly with the LDIF you loose slapd's capability of input
>> validation.
>
> You can muck with input to slapadd all you want. It will still get basic
> validation.

Regarding validation it's still in some cases a big difference whether an
entry is added with slapadd or via LDAP.

Ciao, Michael.