Re: Have you seen this FUD - IT pros suffer OpenLDAP configuration headaches ?

Hi,

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014, Andy Dorman wrote:
On 02/06/2014 03:28 PM, Paul B. Henson wrote:
From: Michael StrÃder
Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2014 2:45 AM

As Howard confirmed on this mailing list static configuration will still
be
available in OpenLDAP 2.5.x.

Really? I didn't see that; my last understanding was that it was deprecated
in 2.4 and was going to be removed in 2.5. Sweet, that means I can push off
dealing with the conversion for much longer :).

Just FWIW, we also have the configs for our different OpenLDAP databases on various servers under git version control. This provides us with a critical, time-stamped audit trail and documentation for all changes along with a fast, reliable method for reverting to earlier configs should it become necessary.

We would very much hate to lose that audit-trail & documentation and control. ;-)

as has been said before several times.  There is no reason to lose your ability to put your configs into version control when you move to cn=config.

- You can check the output from slapcat -n0 into your vcs.

- You can revert to an older configuration from your version control by using slapadd -n0.

- You can use ldapdiff between old and new versions and generate deltas that you could apply with ldapmodify.

- etc ...

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer                   CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck@cksoft.de               Wildberger Weg 24/2