Re: Have you seen this FUD - IT pros suffer OpenLDAP configuration headaches ?

Simone Piccardi wrote:
On 13/05/2014 11:01, Mike Jackson wrote:

In any case, dynamic configuration IS an enterprise-grade/carrier-grade
feature as opposed to static configuration.

I don't need anything of this. I just need a simple LDAP server for a
small business, where the complexity of dynamic configuration is just a
cost with no benefit.

And anyway a lot of services (bind, apache, posfix just to name a few)
implemented dynamic configuration by the means of a kill -HUP.

That's not really dynamic configuration. Anything that requires you to physically login to a server to issue a change is not scalable. With cn=config you can delegate configuration privileges across an arbitrarily large network, without requiring any host/OS privileges.

Most people didn't "need" electricity when they still had oil lamps...

--
  -- Howard Chu