Re: Logging question

Howard Chu wrote:
Ski Kacoroski wrote:
Hmmm, I am still missing something here. I changed the ordering with the overlay glue option and I still get almost duplicate (only the reqEnd time is slightly different) entries in both log databases when I search create or search for entries in ou=hosts,dc=nsd,dc=org. It does work the other way (e.g. if I search ou=people,dc=nsd,dc=org, I do not get an entry in the ou=hosts,dc=nsd,dc=org log database).

Interesting. Actually with the default ordering it works about as well as it's going to. Any subtree search from the top database will generate log records in both databases since the subtree search is propagated all the way down. But anything else that only affects a single entry will only generate logs in one place or the other.

Ok, I upgraded to 2.3.24 and have the same behavior from this system:

dc=nsd, dc=org    # superior database with accesslog nsdlog

  -- ou=people  # ou in superior database

  -- ou=hosts   # subordinate database with accesslog hostslog

When I make a change, search, add, delete to an object in "ou=people,dc=nsd,dc=org", I get logs in nsdlog only. This is makes sense

When I do a search with base "dc=nsd,dc=org" and scope of base I get an entry in nsdlog only. This makes sense. If I change the scope to one or sub I get an entry in nsdlog and hostslog. This also makes sense to me.

When I do the following search:
ldapsearch -x -b "ou=hosts,dc=nsd,dc=org" -h localhost "(uid=test)" with any -s option I get entries in both nsdlog and hostslog even though the search should just be in the "ou=hosts,dc=nsd,dc=org" database.

Question is why I am still getting search entries in the nsdlog?

Also, if I make a add to an object in "ou=hosts,,dc=nsd,dc=org" I get 3 duplicate entries in both logs where I only want to get entries in the hostslog. If I change the rootdn of "ou=hosts,dc=nsd,dc=org" to be "cn=root,ou=hosts,dc=nsd,dc=org" instead of "cn=root,dc=nsd,dc=org", I only get 1 duplicate entry in the nsdlog (e.g. I only get the add entry, not the bind or unbind entries as I am not binding to the rootdn in "dc=nsd,dc=org".

Question is why I am still getting the add entry in nsdlog?

cheers,

ski

--
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it
 connected to the entire universe"            John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski, ski@nsd.org, 206-501-9803