Logging question

Hi,

How do folks handle logging and debugging on a busy ldap server without being able to filter the logs into different files. In particular, I have a server that holds both machine and account data. The machine data is updated quite often via a cron job run on the machines (cfengine) and swamps what is happening from the user side. My first approach was to separate out the machine logs into another file, but I could find nothing to filter on. My second attempt is to put the user data and machine data into two different machines, but this is a waste of resources as a single machine can easily handle the load. As near as I can tell, separate databases on the same machine will not help out either. So I am wondering what other folks do for debugging on busy machines - e.g. how do you filter the logs so you can see the part you are interested in).

cheers,

ski

--
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it
 connected to the entire universe"            John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski, ski@nsd.org, 206-501-9803