Logging question

How do folks handle logging and debugging on a busy ldap server without being able to filter the logs into different files. In particular, I have a server that holds both machine and account data. The machine data is updated quite often via a cron job run on the machines (cfengine) and swamps what is happening from the user side. My first approach was to separate out the machine logs into another file, but I could find nothing to filter on. My second attempt is to put the user data and machine data into two different machines, but this is a waste of resources as a single machine can easily handle the load. As near as I can tell, separate databases on the same machine will not help out either. So I am wondering what other folks do for debugging on busy machines - e.g. how do you filter the logs so you can see the part you are interested in).

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it
 connected to the entire universe"            John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski, ski@nsd.org, 206-501-9803