Re: Schema Replication and data replication.

--On August 9, 2013 9:07:06 AM -0500 espeake@oreillyauto.com wrote:

So I have been able to build a package for ubuntu.  A few questions.

I have yet to find where to set the default install directory when I
run ./configure.  The default is /etc/openldap and I would like to change
it to /etc/ldap which is the current install directory.

I was able to install the package but the version still shows version
2.4.28.  Do I need to reboot the server?

Hi,

First, you do not want to physically replace the distro provided OpenLDAP. You want your build to install somewhere else, so that you don't overwrite the distribution libldap, etc. If you do that, you may have a number of issues with other software programs that were linked to them.

Second, the best course would be to simply slapcat your existing config, and re-import it to a location specific to you, so that OS updates/upgrades don't potentially wipe out your configuration.

I.e., you should isolate your production instance from the OS.

Additionally, I would note the -F option to slapd, etc. See the related manual pages.

Hope this helps!

Principal Software Engineer
Zimbra, Inc