Re: Monitor configuration... also for the manual

On 09.02.2019 at 04:42, Howard Chu wrote:
Arno Lehmann wrote:
Hi Michael,

On 08.02.2019 at 20:29, Michael Ströder wrote:
On 2/7/19 9:34 AM, Arno Lehmann wrote:
On 07.02.2019 at 03:31, Howard Chu wrote:
Did you try searching to see if cn=monitor is actually there?

Yes, although I'm not exactly sure I have this sorted out correctly.
What I did was for example this:

root@host:~/ldap# ldapsearch -Q -LLL -H ldapi:/// -Y EXTERNAL -b '' -s
base + '*' | grep -v supported
dn:
objectClass: top
objectClass: OpenLDAProotDSE
structuralObjectClass: OpenLDAProotDSE
configContext: cn=config
namingContexts: dc=<redacted>,dc=de
entryDN:
subschemaSubentry: cn=Subschema

To me it seems it is *not* there. The operational attribute
'monitorContext' contains the suffix of "database monitor".

So if back-monitor is correctly configured this query goes like this:

So I guess I really did not add a monit database yet, which is exactly what I'd like to achieve.

Thanks for confirming.

That is not a confirmation. Did you actually do an ldapsearch using a base of "cn=monitor" ?

I actually did. And while we might have had too many negated statements in the conversation to be absolutely clear, I think Michael's impression was correct, as I now get

root@host:~/ldap# ldapsearch -Q -LLL -H ldapi:/// -Y EXTERNAL -b '' -s base '+' '*' | grep -v supported
dn:
objectClass: top
objectClass: OpenLDAProotDSE
structuralObjectClass: OpenLDAProotDSE
configContext: cn=config
namingContexts: dc=<redacted>,dc=de
monitorContext: cn=Monitor
entryDN:
subschemaSubentry: cn=Subschema

i.e., the Monitor context does appear.

It sounds to me like you manually added or deleted elements of your configuration while slapd
was running, thus leaving things in a confused state.

Quite likely, however, the steps I did that could modify the configuration were exactly the ones I described (in particular, no deletions, no manual fiddling with files in /etc/ldap/slapd.conf/)

Otherwise, I would have been less confused.

Well, I still think that a bit more detailed information in the manual about setting up the monitoring backend would have been useful.

Cheers,

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann