Re: Olc deployment vs slapd.conf based deployment

Radovan Semancik wrote:
On 09/18/2017 06:25 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
Numerous projects have BSD-style licenses, this isn't OpenLDAP specific. So yes, you should already have a legal team, if that's necessary in your case, that's familiar with dealing with FOSS licenses, to review them.

Not really. Not that many any more. But in fact I try to avoid using such projects. Certainly I do not consider contributions into these. I think that is not worth the effort. Unfortunately, I have to conclude that OpenLDAP project seems to confirm my assumption.

The OpenLDAP license has been in use in its present form since 2003. It has certainly stood the test of time, which is something many other licenses cannot claim. Relicensing all of the code would be a non-trivial effort, as well.

Basically everything you've posted amounts to "why doesn't this project that has been running for 19 years not conform to my newbie expectations?" It is not the community's obligation to conform to newcomers' expectations. It's the newcomer's obligation to observe existing community policies. That's true in all communities, not just open source.

--
  -- Howard Chu