Re: Olc deployment vs slapd.conf based deployment

Hi,

The "cn=config" configuration method is clearly superior. However, there are serious practical issues. Firstly, the documentation leaves a lot to be desired. Until recently almost all examples shown the slapd.conf way, cn=config equivalent was simply missing. Unless I have missed something most manual pages still assume the slapd.conf configuration method. And so on. Secondly, there are operations that simply cannot be done using ldpamodify in cn=config (e.g. removal of a suffix database). And thirdly and most importantly: it is a real pain to remember the configuration schema and write a multi-line ldapmodify command-line even for simple operations. Especially given that you have to translate suffix names (dc=example,dc=com) to configuration DNs (olcDatabase={1}mdb,cn=config), set up non-trivial configuration (e.g. replication) and so on. The cn=config method may be superior. But it is not user friendly. Not even close.

But, OpenLDAP is an open source project. If there is something that a user does not like then there is always something that can be done about it. For example, I like cn=config, but I hate the lack of tooling. Therefore I have created the missing tools:

https://github.com/Evolveum/slapdconf

--
Radovan Semancik
Software Architect