Re: Olc deployment vs slapd.conf based deployment

On 09/14/2017 04:49 PM, Michael Ströder wrote:
Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
slapd.conf is deprecated, and support for it will be removed in
a future release.

Back in 2013 Howard confirmed that 2.5 will still support static config (slapd.conf). And we don't see 2.5 yet.

I would say "easy and more controllable" are not measurable,
nor are they relevant.

Personally I strongly prefer static configuration because it's so much easier to control it with the usual idempotent config management techniques (puppet, ansible, etc.) which you need for the rest of the system anyway.

I'd even state that it's a strong plus of OpenLDAP compared to other LDAP server implementations to still provide this configuration method.

I concur with Michael.

I have our dev server using OLC and it takes me twice as long to modify it's config than the 15 other servers we have running openLDAP.

--
Andy Dorman
Ironic Design, Inc.