Re: Have you seen this FUD - IT pros suffer OpenLDAP configuration headaches ?

Mike Jackson wrote:
> Quoting Christian Kratzer <ck-lists@cksoft.de>:
>>
>> as has been said before several times.  There is no reason to lose your
>> ability to put your configs into version control when you move to cn=config.
>>
>> - You can check the output from slapcat -n0 into your vcs.
>
> "You" in my message referring to the OP, not you Christian.
>
> Or you can ldapsearch it from a backup script running on a cron job. Or you
> can cd into the config directory and do a git init.

We've discussed that here many times:
IMO it's a big difference to export a running configuration in your VCS just
for the records or to control the configuration in VCS before rollout.

For me doing the VCS actions *before* rolling out the configuration to all the
slapd instances gives much more control especially if you have to roll *back*
something. And think of staging. And slapd-config does not handle deletion =>
rollback can be very hard.

Also orchestrated rollout of changes might spread across other systems as
well. E.g. when I'm deploying schema changes in slapd I have to change the
web-based admin UI as well etc.

> In any case, dynamic configuration IS an enterprise-grade/carrier-grade
> feature as opposed to static configuration. It enables you to perform critical
> adjustments to your service without interrupting your service (more or less
> depending on the implementation). I have built multilevel LDAP clusters where
> there were over 15000 simultaneous persistent connections from mobile network
> elements checking RBAC against management actions and believe me, static
> configuration would have been a showstopper if I needed to restart LDAP
> services just to expand my capacity (adding new replicas, etc).

Nonsense. If HA is important you must have decent load-balancers in front of
your servers and know how to operate them.

> If you don't see why dynamic configuration is a good idea, then you probably
> shouldn't be using LDAP for anything too important, anyway.

Ah, and you are the one and only *real* expert.

Strange enough my customers are running mission-critical OpenLDAP deployments
with static configuration - since years.

> I personally believe that support for static configuration should be removed
> already because having two different configuration systems in place serves to
> confuse a lot of people, especially learners.

Complete nonsense.

Ciao, Michael.