Re: OpenLDAP as a 'generic' hierarchical data store

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Tuesday, December 09, 2008 7:18 PM +0100 Lorenzo Pastrana <lorenzo.pastrana@happyend.fr> wrote:

Hello list,

I was wondering lately if I could use OpenLDAP as a 'generic'
hierarchical data store for the application I'm planning, and tried to
get any hint about feasibility. I found a blog post about OpenDS
(http://blogs.sun.com/treydrake/entry/ldap_vs_relational_database),
where the author states about Read/write performance parity ...
That was the kind of news I just wanted to hear because I'm thinking
about a persistence back-end, not just an almost static dataset, but I'm
in a genuine PHP environment and Java is not an option; so I naturally
tried to get some infos regarding OpenLDAP performance but found nothing
recent, and the references I could find are quite discouraging on that
matter ...

However since 4 to 8 years have passed since the tests I've been
reading, I'm still in the hope of a 'a pleasant surprise' as the sun guy
sayz ...

Does someone has an experience to share about that kind of (mis-)usage
of OpenLDAP ?

Any pointers to some good and recent reference on the matter are of
course well come.

I suggest you read the material available on the OpenLDAP website. There's no other LDAP server that I've found that performs as well as OpenLDAP, period.

<http://www.openldap.org/pub/hyc/scale2007.pdf>

You may also wish to read:

<http://www.symas.com/benchmark.shtml>

Let me warn you that LDAP support in PHP is poor and, AFAIK, little maintained, not to mention development.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.r.l.
via Dossi, 8 - 27100 Pavia - ITALIA
http://www.sys-net.it
Office:  +39 02 23998309