Re: OpenLDAP as a 'generic' hierarchical data store

--On Tuesday, December 09, 2008 7:18 PM +0100 Lorenzo Pastrana <lorenzo.pastrana@happyend.fr> wrote:

Hello list,

I was wondering lately if I could use OpenLDAP as a 'generic'
hierarchical data store for the application I'm planning, and tried to
get any hint about feasibility. I found a blog post about OpenDS
where the author states about Read/write performance parity ...
That was the kind of news I just wanted to hear because I'm thinking
about a persistence back-end, not just an almost static dataset, but I'm
in a genuine PHP environment and Java is not an option; so I naturally
tried to get some infos regarding OpenLDAP performance but found nothing
recent, and the references I could find are quite discouraging on that
matter ...

However since 4 to 8 years have passed since the tests I've been
reading, I'm still in the hope of a 'a pleasant surprise' as the sun guy
sayz ...

Does someone has an experience to share about that kind of (mis-)usage
of OpenLDAP ?

Any pointers to some good and recent reference on the matter are of
course well come.

I suggest you read the material available on the OpenLDAP website. There's no other LDAP server that I've found that performs as well as OpenLDAP, period.

You may also wish to read:

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer