cleaning up logs from bdb db and upgrading ldap

I noticed the that I am getting a number of bdb logs (log.0000000000 .. 210)
so far for one db. What is the proper procedure for consolidating these
with openldap while keeping the server process running. We have version 2.3.27,
but plan on upgrading to 2.3.33.

The second question: is the best way to migrate from one ldap version to
another to slapcat from the old one and the slapadd to the new one? I realize
if I do this way, I would in essence have an answer for the first question,
but the first one I was wondering from a live point of view.

Thank you for any help, I have not had much time finding an answer
in the archives o slapd.conf or slapd.bdb man pages. Thanks!