Re: >= (greater or equal) and <= (lower or equal) operators in

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 10:06:27AM +0200, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
> someone (you?) wrote about having the need to determine if a uidNumber is
> within a certain range of "special" uidNmbers.  Well, I think this not
> "regular
> usage" (my opinion, of course), and this type of operation can and
> should done
> programmatically without relying on the capabilitiles of the DSA or of the
> protocol.

The only way to perform such an operation with the standard schema would be to fetch all uidNumber
attributes and then perform a client-side search for <= 500, for example. That really
doesn't make much sense, it is far better to have the server perform this query, hence
the need for an ordering rule in this case, or a custom attribute. However, this should be
better discussed on the nssldap@padl.com mailing list I think.