Re: >= (greater or equal) and <= (lower or equal) operators in

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 10:05:27AM +0100, Greg Matthews wrote:
>> Is there no call for this sort of matching in filters then? Doesnt
>> anyone need to:
>>
>> ldapsearch -x "(uidnumber>=1000)"
>
> I need to, but I can't. The RFC2307 schema misses that, and my questions
> about
> why remain unanswered in the nss_ldap mailing list.
> What I'm doing for now is listing all uidnumbers and parsing the output
> with
> a shell script (!).

I think the standard is missing it on purpose, because regular usage
doesn't need anything but exact match.  Note that uidNumber to uid mapping
only needs to use uidNumber as a key for exact filters.  If you want to
use it for a different purpose, you should choose a different
attributeType, or design your own.

>> Is it considered breaking standard schema to add ORDERING rules into
>> them?
>
> I would love to and I'm about to throw in the towel and "break" this
> standard
> schema by adding this (and other) rules. A broken or difficult standard is
> of
> no use.

Then just design your own, or propose a draft for standard emendation, but
don't hijack others, or you'll run into interoperability problems, sooner
or later.

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati