Re: Replication

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 03:37:40AM -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
> The --enable-multimaster switch has been disabled in the configure script for
> quite a long time. Specifying it on the configure command accomplishes
> nothing, which is why portable.h doesn't get it enabled. Since the feature is
> unsupported and its use is discouraged, you're expected to know what you're
> doing if you want to enable it. Knowing how to enable it is the first step in
> "knowing what you're doing." Editing portable.h by hand is not the right way.

Howard,

I'm sorry you feel I don't know what I'm doing. Of course I'm not
intimately familiar with the OpenLDAP source (I'm an admin, not a
programmer) but on the other hand I have built a working system which is
is resilient and allows directory updates even if one of the servers is
unavailable. I'm grateful that OpenLDAP is available to enable me to do
that.

When I first built a multimaster system, I found that the
"--enable-multimaster" flag and the updateref definition were certainly
necessary. I think that would have been with version 2.0.something. If
they're no longer needed, then I'm grateful for that information.

It's a shame that the multimaster code isn't supported. Can you say why
that is? The relevant changes appear to be relatively small and
localised. Is there any chance of support in the future?

I'd be interested to know your "right" way to enable multimaster, rather
than editing portable.h or its .in file. Although you might decline, on
the basis that that would be supporting unsupported code. :-)

Dave
--
** Dave Holland ** Systems Support  -  Special Projects Team **
** 01223 834244 ** Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge, UK  **