Re: Q: slurpd replication

At 06:13 PM 7/27/99 +0000, David Reitz wrote:
>i have three LDAP servers set up.  in order to do replication, do i need
>to only have slurpd and slapd running on the master,

You need to setup the master with a replog for each replica and
have separate slurpd running for each replog.

>with slapd only running on the slaves?

Yes, slaves (in general) should not generate replogs... there's
nothing to slurp.

>if so, i am not able to get replication to work
>from slaves back to the masters

OpenLDAP 1.x supports single-master replication.  The slaves should
be setup (using a default referral) to refer modification requests
to the master.

(there are patches available to implement multiple-master replication
available:  http://www.openldap.org/its/index.cgi?findid=170

>, however, replication works fine from
>the master to the slaves.  (i must be missing some configuration
>issue... but what is it???)

referral	ldap://master/

(where master is the hostname of your master server)

>or do i need to have slapd and slurpd running on all machines to do
>replication back and forth?  if so, is there any way that i can get rid
>of the error messages that appear in the log?  (i have tried both
>situations...)

You need patches to do multi-master replication.