Re: Questions about slapd & slurpd

At 05:38 PM 7/12/99 +0200, Frédéric Poels wrote:
>I thought of something a bit more complicated :
>- "l=left,o=org" is replicated from foo.com
>- "l=right,o=org" is replicated from bar.org
>- if I ldap_search anything under "l=left,o=org" then the result comes from
>the local host
>- if I ldap_modify anything under "l=left,o=org" then the modification is
>referred to foo.com
>- if I ldap_search anything under "l=right,o=org" then the result comes
>from the local host
>- if I ldap_modify anything under "l=right,o=org" then the modification is
>referred to bad.org
>
>Is this possible?

No.  Updates to a replicated DIT cause the default referral to
be sent to the client.  This should be backend specific and
could easily be modified to be so.  I'm doing lots of work
on referrals right now (in -devel).  I'll add that per-backend
replica referrals to my growing todo list.

>>>3) How can you perform a "total replication" (like X.500 allows)?
>>Using slurpd, you must replicate the data assocatiated with each
>>"database" separately.
>Where can I find documentation about that?

man slurpd(8) or the U-Mich guide.

Kurt