Re: Questions about slapd & slurpd

Good evening!

At 08:14 12/07/99 -0700, you wrote:
>At 04:39 PM 7/12/99 +0200, Frédéric Poels wrote:
>>Good afternoon!
>>
>>Here are a few questions about slapd and slurpd for which I cannot find an
>>answer in either tha FAQ or the "administrator's guide":
>>
>>1) Can slapd use a plain text logfile in a specified directory (I don't
>>want to rely on syslogd)?
>
>With a little hacking, yes.  Out of the box, no.

Mmmmh. Maybe I could develop an #ifdef NO_SYSLOGD which would allow to have
this feature out of the box...

>>2) Is it possible do have multiple referrals (one for a specific subtree
>>and another one for another subtree)?
>
>Yes.
>
>If you have a suffix "o=org" and three entries under this suffix,
>	dn: o=org
>	dn: l=left,o=org
>	dn: l=right,o=org
>
>You can then create two referral entries:
>	dn: ref=ldap://left/,l=left,o=org
>	dn: ref=ldap://right/,l=right,o=org
>
>Then a subtree search with base "o=org" should return the three
>original entries and a result that contains the two referrals.
>If the base as "l=left,o=org", than only the left entry and referrral
>would be returned on a subtree search.

I thought of something a bit more complicated :
- "l=left,o=org" is replicated from foo.com
- "l=right,o=org" is replicated from bar.org
- if I ldap_search anything under "l=left,o=org" then the result comes from
the local host
- if I ldap_modify anything under "l=left,o=org" then the modification is
referred to foo.com
- if I ldap_search anything under "l=right,o=org" then the result comes
from the local host
- if I ldap_modify anything under "l=right,o=org" then the modification is
referred to bad.org

Is this possible?

>>3) How can you perform a "total replication" (like X.500 allows)?
>
>Using slurpd, you must replicate the data assocatiated with each
>"database" separately.

Where can I find documentation about that?

>>Copying DB files (as described in the administrator's guide) just
>>does not work between heterogeneous systems (Linux and AIX to name them).
>
>Even between homogeneous systems, you shouldn't copy the database files
>between the master and it's slaves.
>
>>What can you do
>>if the "supplier" uses DB2 and the "consumer" uses GDBM? What can you do if
>>you do not have file transfer facilities between the two systems?
>
>Use slurpd.
>
>>[ I'm using Sleepycat Berkeley DB2 and db_dump/db_load don't seem to help
>>much ]
>>
>>Any hint is welcome!
>>
>>Frederic Poels.

Thank you for your help,