Re: BerkeleyDB versions

Gavin Henry wrote:
<quote who="Howard Chu">
Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
Howard Chu wrote:

Our early tests with DB 4.6.1 thru 4.6.3 showed impressive performance
gains, making it seem worthwhile. But we have no way of knowing how the
current 4.6.18 will perform at the moment.
Were those speedups confined to, say, write, or general?
In general. You might recall that Jong-Hyuk Choi had done some work
identifying
bottlenecks in BDB's memory management; Sleepycat never used the code that
Jong
sent them but they still rewrote their memory manager between DB 4.5.20
and
4.6.1 as a result of Jong's work. Since the memory manager affects all
operations in the DB library, the speedups can be seen everywhere.
--

If support for 4.2 is dropped in the next 2.4 beta, what is the earliest version we think we will support?

We already disallow use of 4.3 due to its instability, so 4.4 would be the minimum.

Also the BDB support guys at Oracle are now saying they'd like 4.2 to be dropped anyway, as it's nearing its 4th birthday, and they don't want to have to deal with it any more. I guess that's reasonable...
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com