Re: >1024 connections in slapd / select->poll

What's the purpose of having that degree of concurrency ?

In fact, we've currently got the MTA (it's called simta) set to limit itself to 250 inbound SMTP connections. We monitor the SMTP interface (and the LDAP interface) to ensure that it remains responsive. Our customer expectation is that when email is sent, it will arrive at the UMich recipients mailbox within seconds. In short, the concurrency reflects how our users send & receive email.

Hmm...so, e-mails can be quite large, therefore it seems reasonable to have a large number of concurrently active SMTP connections: each client might be limping along sending a message slowly, etc.

However, I'm not sure I see why this implies that you need
to keep an LDAP connection open, and one per SMTP
session, for the duration of the message receipt or relay activity.

Why wouldn't you open the LDAP connection when you need
to look something up, and then close it again? Or better still
use an LDAP connection pool?

I'm having a hard time seeing why you need to perform 250
concurrent LDAP operations. I can see why you'd need to
perform LDAP operations at a high rate, but not why you're
trying to do so over a huge number of concurrently open connections.