Re: [ldapext] UTF-8 full support in LDIF / LDIF v2

Jim Willeke wrote:

Is the suggestion to utilize and indicator similar to the HTTP charset parameter (Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8) ?

I don't think we ever got it that well defined, but I guess, yes this would be one way of doing it.

I still think it is a bad idea. It make sense for http, because most html out there, even today, is not UTF-8, the migration is happening, but it has not happened. On the other hand, UTF-8 has been supported by LDAP for a long time, and is typically the default. As a matter of fact, LDIF already uses UTF-8 by default today, but the issue is that it has to be base64 encoded.

Jim: Do you have specific cases where using non-Unicode charsets would be an asset ?

PS: As mentioned earlier, I could see value in adding "encoding:" if it means an encoding of Unicode, but we need to keep in mind that the other encodings are more complicated to implement.
--
Yves.
http://www.sollers.ca/