Re: [ldapext] UTF-8 full support in LDIF / LDIF v2

Steven Legg wrote:
See http://www.xmled.info/drafts/draft-sciberras-xed-eldif-05.txt

We created a solution for presenting directory attribute values that are
arbitrary UTF-8 character strings including line breaks. That accommodates
UTF-8 encoded XML documents, but would also be useful for GSER encodings
if the whitespace separator is extended to include line breaks.

Any reason why the draft never made it to an RFC ?

It may yet. We've just been busy with other things and there hasn't been external pressure to move it along.

Yes I was wondering about that, do we need multi-line values as work around because schemas aren't precise enough ?

Escaping the line break characters in the value and using the existing
LDIF line folding method would work. The output function can optionally
fold lines immediately after an escaped line break so that the number
of lines in the value matches the number of lines in the LDIF output.

Another solution is to drop into a literal mode until a special character
sequence is encountered (e.g., END-OF-VALUE). One must then take care to
escape the special sequence if it happens to occur in the attribute value.

Both of the above solutions require messing about with escape sequences,
whereas the simple prefix method we settled on doesn't need to.

Would quoting a la python work, or would that add too much complexity, too much of a change from the current LDIF ?

Can you present an example of what you mean ?

Python style would be usint a special character that then needs to be escaped, something like:
#####################################
organizationName: Smith, Smith
&
Smith
givenName: John
#####################################

or
#####################################
organizationName: 'Smith, Smith
&
Smith'
givenName: John
#####################################

But now that I think of it, it does look messy in the middle of an LDIF file. What about a mix, like:
#####################################
organizationName: 'Smith, Smith\' \
'&\' \
'Smith'
givenName: John

I find it a lot more LDIFic...

Again, before we get into something like that, I'd like to have a better feeling for how much of a need we have for it ?

--
Yves.
http://www.sollers.ca/