Re: [ldapext] UTF-8 full support in LDIF / LDIF v2

Yves Dorfsman wrote:

Kurt Zeilenga wrote:

[...]

There were also suggestions of adding a "charset" specification (yuk).

Is there something we cannot do with Unicode ? I don't understand the advantage of a "charset" keyword. If anything, I'd rather look at an "encoding" keyword to support the different encodings of Unicode, for east asian scripts for example which apparently takes a lot less space when encoded in UTF-16. But, UTF-16 in itself is quite a bit more complex than UTF-8, requiring a byte order mark etc... I was thinking this could wait a future version.

I think Unicode is pretty much won the charset war and UTF-8 would be the best thing to use.
But I think Kurt was just mentioning this as an idea that was suggested.

Just my 2p (as an individual contributor).
[...]

Example in UTF-8:
The RFC-Editor is very clear on this, RFCs are ASCII only but we can add a postscript file with examples containing UTF-8 if we want. I am not sure there is much value, this is pretty trivial.

(Though I rather the IETF would change the RFC format from ASCII to UTF-8, that's another fight.)

No kidding.

Another debate for another place and time ;-)

There are various conventions for providing examples of UTF-8 protocols (and formats). IIRC, there's an RFC about how this (though I don't recall its number). And I think at least once such example ought to be included.

Yes, I believe you need to add a PDF or PS version to the original. I can look at that. Is there a tradition on how to pick the names for the example, or is it completely random ?

There is no tradition, you are free to use whatever you like. [...]