Re: [ldapext] UTF-8 full support in LDIF / LDIF v2

On Mar 26, 2009, at 6:14 AM, Yves Dorfsman wrote:

Alexey Melnikov wrote:
There were also suggestions of adding a "charset" specification (yuk).

Is there something we cannot do with Unicode ? I don't understand the advantage of a "charset" keyword. If anything, I'd rather look at an
I think Unicode is pretty much won the charset war and UTF-8 would be the best thing to use.
But I think Kurt was just mentioning this as an idea that was suggested.

I went back through the mailing list archive, "charset" came up, but I can't make sense of who started with it.

I probably did.
In europe there are lots of directory users and administrators that have non ascii data they need to transform to LDIF.
With simple scripts, turning the data to UTF-8 and then to base64 encoded is a pain.
Allowing to specify a charset and then letting the tools doing the conversion to UTF-8 automatically could simplify their life.

I think this is getting less of an issue with modern desktops and OS, even though UTF-8 is not the default setting for a machine in French or German.

Assuming we go ahead with UTF-8, does anybody here have a problem with NOT implementing "charset", to use Unicode / UTF-8 only ?
No problem.

Ludovic.

Yes, I believe you need to add a PDF or PS version to the original. I can look at that. Is there a tradition on how to pick the names for the example, or is it completely random ?
There is no tradition, you are free to use whatever you like.

Thanks.

--
Yves.
http://www.sollers.ca/

---
Ludovic Poitou                                    Sun Microsystems Inc.
OpenDS Community Lead               Directory Services
http://blogs.sun.com/Ludo/         Grenoble Engineering Center - France

Sun Microsystems requires the following notice:
NOTICE:  This email message is for the sole use of the intended