Re: Families of Entries

Date forwarded: 	Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:09:55 -0800 (PST)
Date sent:      	Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:09:58 -0800 (PST)
From:           	RL Bob Morgan <Bob.Morgan@Stanford.EDU>

> I suggest not bothering.  I suggest that the addition of page
> breaks/headers/footers in I-Ds is an anachronism that wastes authors'
> preparation time (e.g. yours here),

too true. I spent (i.e. wasted) nearly as many hours trying to get the page numbers etc
inserted correctly in .txt format, as in producing the ID in the first
place, and I failed. I then spent more hours trying to get the generic
printer to work, which it does not (if you dont believe me I attach a
simple one sentence word document to this message with the
accompanying text prn file (renamed to .txt)

>is pointless when reading docs in
> browsers/editors (where I suspect the vast majority of them are read), and
> only makes it harder for readers to compare successive versions of drafts.
>  For what it's worth I made this suggestion in the recent thread on the
> main IETF list about document formats and received only positive comments

great. So what are we going to do about it? the main benefit I can
see from using .txt format is that you send 2k of bits instead of a
mega 20k using Word, to say essentially the same thing. (see the
current attachments)  So I dont advocate moving to Word, as
downloading my email by modem will then take ten times as long.
But .txt without headers and footers would certainly be a big step
forward, at least for IDs

David

>  - RL "Bob"

David Chadwick
IT Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 370 957 287
Email D.W.Chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string A7OX-K3QT-JPTU

If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any another MIME-compliant system,

If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any another MIME-compliant system,