Re: Families of Entries

> More questions:
>
> Do you have any examples where more than one level deep is actually
> necessary?

I have produced an example in the X.500 PDAM text. This shows a
user with SMTP and POP3 children, and below these the details of
each server for each service that he subscribes to. But I dont know
if the example will remain purely an example or will be used in real
life.

> What sort of ACL/schema controls would allow me to express that
> certain child entries are necessary/optional/mandatory/prohibited?
> For example, that it is mandatory for any "phone" entry to have
> a child entry for "home_or_work", and is allowed to have a child
> entry for "is_old".

there is nothing in current LDAP that mandates that an entry has particular subordinates,
so I am not proposing to add this feature

> How do I remove a particular child,

this is in the existing ID. You simply delete it if it has no children

> or change the value of its attribute?

You simply send a ModifyEntry operation

> Apparently the family members don't have individual DN's;

Sorry, they do. They are entries.

>I have to
> address the whole family as a DN, and identify a particular child with a
> filter? Or what?

Either the ID is not clear enough, or you have not read it properly.

> Could there be an automatic emulation (or whatever) of the language
> parameter, the one parameter that LDAP already supports (AFAIK)?

Sorry, I dont follow this question

> Could this be used to solve another problem, of what I called "structured"
> attributes?

Exactly. Structured attributes were introduced because there was
no way of grouping the individual components together if they had
been represented as separate attributes.

>Attributes such as address in vCard/ldap have a positional
> syntax for constituent parts (city, zip, etc.). It would be nice to be
> able to manipulate either the complex object or its contained attributes.

Exactly. City, zip etc become attributes of a child entry

> Generally, properties are only attached to the whole complex object
> ("pref", "home", etc.)? That is where things get a little confusing -- the
> semantics of the family hierarchy could either be containment or metadata.

Containment I would say. Metadata is used to control the family
hierarchy (as it is the rest of the DIT)

David

> -mda

David Chadwick
IT Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 370 957 287
Email D.W.Chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string A7OX-K3QT-JPTU