Re: draft-ietf-ldapbis-bcp64-01 comments

At 01:28 PM 12/7/2003, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>Section 3.2 (Protocol Mechanisms) refers to supportedFeatures in the
>[Features] document.  What is that?  There is no [Features] in the
>References sections.

supportedFeatures [Features] is a LDAP feature discovery mechanism
recently approved by the IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard.
  [Features] Zeilenga, K., "Feature Discovery in LDAP",
    draft-zeilenga-ldap-features-xx.txt, a work in progress

The specification, as discussed in BCP 64, extends the LDAP
Protocol Mechanisms registry.  I've incorporated these registry
extensions into the revised BCP.

>Section 3.6 (LDAP Result Codes) says:
>
>   LDAP result messages carry an resultCode enumerated value to indicate
>   the outcome of the operation [Protocol].  Each result code consists
>   of a keyword and a non-negative integer.
>
>Which keywords are these?  The ASN.1 names of result codes in
>[Protocol]?

The keyword is a short name used in specifications (including
the ASN.1) and elsewhere to refer to the non-negative integer.

>Typos in section 3.3 (Object Identifier Descriptors):
>
>   A values ending with a hyphen ("-") reserve all descriptors which
>     ^^^^^^                            ^^^^^^^
>should be "A value ... reserves".

okay.

>Section 3.7 (LDAP Authentication Method) ends with:
>
>  SASL is an extensible LDAP
>  authentication method.
>
>I think you should strike "LDAP" here.  SASL is general, it's not just
>an LDAP thing.

I'll s/LDAP authentication method/authentication framework/

>Section 3.8 (Directory Systems Names) says:
>
>   The IANA-maintained "Directory Systems Names" registry [IANADSN] of
>   valid keywords for well known attributes used in the LDAPv2 string
>   representation of a distinguished name [RFC1779], now Historic
>   [RFC3494].
>
>Please insert a verb in this paragraph.  (Or is "used" the verb?  I
>couldn't parse it that way.)

I'll s/used/was used/