Re: slapcat vs. ldapsearch

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Buchan Milne wrote:

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

| Of course, 'upgrade to the latest Stable version' also tends ot be a
| good answer, in particular if you are using the OpenLDAP which comes
| with RedHat:-)

I really don't think this will fix the problem, and there are some
useful things you can do with the OpenLDAP that comes with RedHat, you
can read the man pages ;-).

Tim, care to explain exactly what you are trying to do? Maybe you want
to post the relevant bits of your slapd.conf, and also tell us if you
have actually got a password for cn=sync,ou=Rpc in your database ...

Ok, finally managed to get back to this.

I'm essentially trying to follow the Quick Start guide, with the following assumptions and modifications of the process:
- I'm using the OpenLDAP which comes with Redhat Enterprise 3
(openldap-2.0.27-17), and I'm assuming that the RPM has already
done steps 1-7 in the first section of the quick start guide for
me, and that the only step I needed to complete in the first
section was step 8, configure config files (which I've done, with
the exception that I generated the password with slappasswd, and
pasted that in the config file)
- I'm assuming that Redhat's "service ldap start" (aka
/etc/rc.d/init.d/ldap start) does the same thing as starting the
LDAP server in step 1 of the second section.
- Evidence that the above assumptions are true: in step 1 of the
second section, I get the correct output for ldapsearch
- Rather than adding entries with ldapadd, I'm using the migration
scripts which come with openLDAP (specifically, using
migrate_all_offline before I started openLDAP). These show up
fine in slapcat, but when I run the ldapsearch command listed in
step 3 of section 2 of the Quick Start Guide, I get:
-------------------------------
version: 2

#
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object

# numResponses: 1

	AFAIK, the only passwords involved are:
1.	The one in slapd.conf
2.	Anything imported by the migrate scripts

	Does this help at all?

	:)

--
Tim Nelson