Re: time-base release schedule?

On 07/03/2018 08:44 PM, David Magda wrote:
Some of us don't have the time to pull down the latest git commit and roll
our own release of OpenLDAP. If you need something more recent than what
Debian offers that's something you can address yourself, but I would
hazard to guess that the majority of people running OpenLDAP are using a
RPM/DEB/etc.

Regarding mainstream Linux:
- On Debian and RHEL/CentOS I'd recommend to use the LTB packages anyway which are always compiled from latest release. - For openSUSE I keep the packages updated. Personally I'm using openSUSE Tumbleweed which is a rolling release with decent QA staging.

Personally I'd prefer OpenLDAP project to return to the old
release-early-release-often mantra. And hey, that matches today's
*agile* CI/CD models pretty well. ;-)

If you want to argue for monthly or quarterly releases, I won't object.

I want to argue to release 2.4.47 now ;-) so I can get rid of back-port patches for needed features - just because I really hate back-port patches.

Ciao, Michael.