Re: Trying to switch from bdb to mdb

--On November 2, 2014 at 8:43:00 AM -0500 Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net> wrote:

Are you also new to BSD and manpages? You've been told, multiple times,
what to do. Read the docs.

I have read the "docs", "man pages" and searched on-line. I even copied
configuration files from the web and tried them, all without success.
FreeBSD does not work the way other *.nix systems do, and I don't have
any more time to invest in this venture today. Perhaps if the FreeBSD
team releases an OpenLDAP that is configured to work with "mdb" in the
future, I will revisit the issue. In any case, it is working with "bdb"
and that will have to suffice for now.

Hi Jerry,

As someone who works on the documentation for OpenLDAP, I would like to understand this answer better.

First off, in the 2nd response to your email from Dieter, he specifically said:

This is the important part, back-mdb has been built as module.
Include back-mdb into the module load part of your slapd configuraton.

In the slapd.conf you provided, there is a clear and explicit example of a module being loaded:

moduleload      back_bdb

Please explain to me, in depth, what was lacking in response and documentation that you were unable to comprehend an explicit instruction to moduleload back mdb that was provided to you multiple times?

I'm also not sure what FreeBSD vs Linux has to do with anything. OpenLDAP is simply a piece of compiled software. How it is compiled and what options are available to it may vary from distribution to distribution (whether those are linux or *bsd distributions), but there is zero to do with FreeBSD vs Linux.

Thanks,
Quanah

Platform Architect
Zimbra, Inc