Trying to switch from bdb to mdb

I am running OpenLDAP on a FreeBSD-10 amd 64 machine. It is installed via the
FreeBSD ports system and I compile it on my machine.

I recently wanted to switch from BDB since versions greater than 6 are not
acceptable to OpenLDAP. I wanted to use "mdb", but I just cannot seem to get
it configured correctly.

I changed the "database bdb" to "database mdb" but when I try to start
openLDAP, I get this error:

Starting slapd
Unrecognized database type (mdb)
Warning: failed to start slapd

I removed the existing database, so it should be starting up with a clean
environment, but the problem continues.

This is probably a problem specific to FreeBSD. If any user of FreeBSD has
this working, I would love to see how they configured it. Feel free to
contact me off list if it is more convenient.

Thanks!

--
Jerry