Re: missing entry in slapcat backup

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 12:15:19PM +0100, Meike Stone wrote:

> I think, it would be a great thing to test the slapcat file (after
> dumping it) instantly.

Testing backups is always wise...

> So as reported in
> http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-technical/201301/msg00254.html
> I tried to do this with a broken backup and the dry-run switch. But
> slapadd did not report the error.
> It will work only with a real import.
> Are there other possibilities, or can be slapadd modified, that this
> will report such error?

Dryrun won't be able to detect missing structural entries: that
requires a database. Even an internal list of DNs is not
enough, as the actual entries have to be available in order to
check things like schema and content rules.

To be a valid test you really have to import the data into a
server with configuration identical to the production server.
If that would take too long then a reasonable compromise might
be to import to a server set up to write data as fast as
possible. You could reasonably turn off all database-safety
functions to do that, or put the database on a ramdisk.
Even if you use hdb on the production servers you might
consider trying mdb for the backup tests.

Andrew