Re: missing entry in slapcat backup

2013/1/24 Hallvard Breien Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no>:
> Meike Stone writes:
>> - What ist the origin for such orphaned nodes (In MMR, it happens and
>> I see a few glue records, but in my backup this one node is complete
>> missing...)?
>
> Do you check the exit code from slapcat before saving its output?
> If slapcat (well, any program) fails, discard the output file.

Hello,

yes, every time I make a Backup, the exitcode from slapcat is evaluated.
If any error occur, I write a message in syslog.
I searched in syslog over one year, but no error occured.
Espechially the date, where the backup was created, what I use now for tests.

So I tried it again:

Load broken DB via slapadd in slapd (messages proof that it is broken):
debld02:~ # slapadd  -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf -q -l /backup.ldif
_#################### 100.00% eta   none elapsed          19m11s spd   2.2 M/s
Closing DB...Error, entries missing!
  entry 1156449: ou=a,ou=b,ou=c,ou=root

Check, that the "parent entry" not exist:
~ # ldapdelete -x -h localhost -w password -D cn=admin,ou=root
"cn=cname,ou=a,ou=b,ou=c,ou=root"
ldap_delete: Other (e.g., implementation specific) error (80)
        additional info: could not locate parent of entry
~ # echo $?
80

Try to check exit code from slapcat after backup the broken DB:
~ # slapcat -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf >/backup.ldif; echo $?
0

It seems to me, that in such case, the slapcat does not trows an error?!

Thanks Meike