Re: ldapsearch stalling when performing searches with a large number of results

--On Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:21 AM +0100 Mark Cairney <mark.cairney@ed.ac.uk> wrote:

On 26 Sep 2012, at 22:36, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:59 AM +0100 Mark Cairney
<mark.cairney@ed.ac.uk> wrote:

My olcDB values are listed below (minus the olcDbConfig entries). I'm
not sure if you need the indexes but I've left them in anyway:

olcDbCacheFree: 1
olcDbCacheSize: 400000
olcDbIDLcacheSize: 1200000

set_cachesize 4 0 1

This may be a little small. I prefer to fully cache my DB.

Which one in particular? I thought the set_cachesize had an upper limit
of 4GB but your guidance on the Zimbra website suggests this is an old
limit and I now can't find the page on the OpenLDAP site which discusses
it. Alternatively would increasing the number of caches from 2 to 2 or 3
be a suitable workaround?

BDB 4.2.52 had an upper limit of 4 GB segments. Since you aren't running BDB 4.2.52, you have no such limit.

Given that I've got a relatively healthy amount of RAM available would
the following sound sensible to you

olcDbCacheSize: 1000000
olcDbIDLcacheSize: 1200000
set_cachesize 4 0 2

I would do set_cachesize 8 0 0

I also want to give a bit of headroom for new user accounts (approx rate
of increase 80,000/y) and creating a group object for each user.

Ok.

I'm not using an SHM key (should I be?).

So with 300,000 users, your caches look fine.  I would definitely
recommend using an SHM key if you are going to stick with using BDB.  I
personally prefer using MDB with current RE24 these days. It is
magnitudes faster than BDB in all aspects if you enable write map.

I've looked at your guidance on using SHM keys but I'm slightly reluctant
to start playing around with kernel settings on production servers :-)
The existing default settings on RHEL 5 seem massive in comparison though:
kernel.shmmax = 68719476736

kernel.shmall = 4294967296

Whereas based on the ZImbra performance tuning page I calculated (based
on 8GB BDB cache size + 0.5GB for other stuff)

shmall would be: 2228224

and shmmax:  8589934592

Both of which appear to be an order of magnitude smaller than the
defaults! Then there appears to be some Zimbra-specific commands but I'm
guessing the equivalent is just setting the olcDBShmKey in slapd.d on
vanilla OpenLDAP?

My plan in the longer term is to move to MDB but when I tried it out on
one of our test VMs (40GB HD) it pretty much devoured all available disk
space. Is there a rule of thumb for deriving probable MDB disk space
requirements based on existing BDB size?

Thanks for the help and apologies for all the additional questions!

Kind regards,

You only have to adjust the SHM bits in sysctl if the default values are not large enough. As for MDB, it generally takes about 2/3rds the space of BDB.

Sr. Member of Technical Staff
Zimbra, Inc
A Division of VMware, Inc.