Re: Slaving from Mirror Mode

--On Thursday, September 06, 2012 8:23 AM +1000 Nick Urbanik <nick.urbanik@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Dear Quanah,

On 05/09/12 13:52 -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Thursday, September 06, 2012 6:46 AM +1000 Nick Urbanik
<nicku@nicku.org> wrote:
So while I cannot use delta-syncrepl *between* the two mirror-mode
masters, I *can* use delta-syncrepl on our eight consumers slaving
*from* the current active master through the load balancer?  Is that
correct?

No.  OpenLDAP 2.4.32 has full delta-syncrepl MMR support. ;)  So you
can use delta-syncrepl everywhere.  18.3.4.1.2 is specifically
talking about a replica replicating from only a single master, not
from multiple masters (as in a load balance name).  Basically what
you are looking at is 18.3.4.1.1.

Now MMR is not mirror mode replication, but multi-master replication,
correct?

MMR is multi master replication. "Mirror mode" is Multi master replication where you restrict writes to only go to a single master in the multi-master setup. If that master goes down, you have a failover mechanism that makes one of the other master(s) the primary master. I.e., Mirror mode is MMR where only one master is ever primary, and the rest are backup masters.

Now we're going to use a pair of mirror mode masters, and
there must be only syncrepl between them, not delta-synrepl between
them, correct?  Or do you mean that you can use delta-syncrepl between
the mirror mode masters as well?  I'm confused by your statement, "you
can use delta-syncrepl everywhere."

As I said: Starting with OpenLDAP 2.4.32, there is full delta-syncrepl support for MMR. Thus you can use delta-syncrepl instead of syncrepl in your mirrormode MMR setup.

But it *is* possible to use delta-syncrepl from the current active
mirror master to all the non-master consumers, is that correct?

Yes, that is possible too. As I said, you can now use delta-syncrepl with all nodes. ;)

Sr. Member of Technical Staff
Zimbra, Inc
A Division of VMware, Inc.