Quick newbie pointer - unauth ldap* commands as root on ldap master

Sorry - this will sound really dumb... For people who aren't very LDAP savvy, what the cleanest way to rig an LDAP server that I have root access to to:

allow unprompted ldap* commands (eg ldapmodify).

GoSA has got confused creating a user and I need to manually force some ldif files with minor changes through...

MIT Kerberos has a kdamin.local command that does not care about authentication because it has direct access to the database files.

Is there something similar for OpenLDAP? This is a files based ldap server, not using SQL.

I have located an ldap.secret file but am having trouble authenticating with its content. I'm fairly confused because LDAP appears to have many many ways to handle authentication...

Many thanks,

Tim Watts
Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/