Re: Loading LDAP schema files into cn=config

On 3/7/2011 2:18 ÏÎ, Howard Chu wrote:

We've been discussing this problem for quite a while. My current thinking is that somehow we can use attribute options to help. Visually it might be better to associate the option with the original attribute, e.g.
    olcAccess:
    olcAccess;x-comment:
This would require defining a new (and strange) type of attribute option though, since the value with the option has no relation (syntactically) to the original attribute type.

Thank you for this discussion.

I think it might not matter which of the two is the implementation, as long as the "description" (either "olcWhatever;x-comment:" or "description;x-olcWhatever:") is available and multi-valued for each and every attribute and if it can easily stay together with the entry concerned, and easily displayed in relation to it as well (yes, visual behavior for comments is important!). For example, for olcAccess, modifying an example from: http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/access-control.html, if we create the attribute values:

    olcAccess: to attrs=member,entry
         by dnattr=member selfwrite
    description;x-olcAccess: (0) Access rules for attrs: member,entry
    description;x-olcAccess: (0) Entered by Nick on 7/12/2012
    olcAccess: to dn.children="dc=example,dc=com"
         by * search
    description;x-olcAccess: (1) Allow search on children of example.com
    description;x-olcAccess: (1) Entered by Nick on 7/12/2012
    olcAccess: to dn.children="dc=com"
         by * read
    description;x-olcAccess: (2) Allow only read on children of com
    description;x-olcAccess: (2) Entered by Nick on 7/12/2012

we should be able to easily display:

    olcAccess: {0}to attrs=member,entry
         by dnattr=member selfwrite
    description;x-olcAccess: (0) Access rules for attrs: member,entry
    description;x-olcAccess: (0) Entered by Nick on 7/12/2012
    olcAccess: {1}to dn.children="dc=example,dc=com"
         by * search
    description;x-olcAccess: (1) Allow search on children of example.com
    description;x-olcAccess: (1) Entered by Nick on 7/12/2012
    olcAccess: {2}to dn.children="dc=com"
         by * read
    description;x-olcAccess: (2) Allow only read on children of com
    description;x-olcAccess: (2) Entered by Nick on 7/12/2012

I assume, all the above should be easier and more intuitive to achieve using the "olcAccess;x-comment:" approach (even if it's more difficult - as you say - to implement).

But, I am sure there are many experts in this list, far more experienced than me, whose feedback would be most valuable.

In any case, I believe a solution should be outlined soon and scheduled for development, because it is a real need.

Regards,
Nick