Re: Loading LDAP schema files into cn=config

Nick Milas wrote:
> On 2/7/2011 2:53 ÎÎ, Simone Piccardi wrote:
>> I don't think there are comments inside cn=config, and
>> those are very important when you have to document and track tens of
>> different installations.
>
> Indeed, it seems that the config schema does not include a "description" (or
> similar) attribute which can be used freely in any config DIT entries for
> documentation purposes.
>
> If this is truly the case, wouldn't it be advisable to add such support to the
> config schema? Of course, this means that all objectclass definitions should
> include: ...MAY (... $ description ) ...

While description may help a little bit you cannot add comments for each
configuration directive for example ACLs.

> Usually, in our DIT (which includes mainly people, mail alias, other accounts,
> and DNS data) we use single-valued or multi-valued (per entry) "description"
> attributes (as defined in RFC 4519) which serve very well our documentation
> needs. These are already included in the objectClasses we use (based on
> account, person, domain etc. objectClasses ).

I also use 'description' quite a lot especially since my web2ldap displays it
as bubble help in the browser. But it's not sufficient in this case.

Ciao, Michael.