Re: Loading LDAP schema files into cn=config

On 2/7/2011 2:53 ÎÎ, Simone Piccardi wrote:

I don't think there are comments inside cn=config, and
those are very important when you have to document and track tens of
different installations.

Indeed, it seems that the config schema does not include a "description" (or similar) attribute which can be used freely in any config DIT entries for documentation purposes.

If this is truly the case, wouldn't it be advisable to add such support to the config schema? Of course, this means that all objectclass definitions should include: ...MAY (... $ description ) ...

Or, are there any other suggestions on how to include documentation in the config DIT?

Documenting entries has proved very valuable in practice.

Usually, in our DIT (which includes mainly people, mail alias, other accounts, and DNS data) we use single-valued or multi-valued (per entry) "description" attributes (as defined in RFC 4519) which serve very well our documentation needs. These are already included in the objectClasses we use (based on account, person, domain etc. objectClasses ).

In some cases, we format these description values in very specific ways so as to allow automatic processing of various attributes from external scripts, based on data provided in the description attribute values. This use of description attribute values might be unconventional (?) but it suits our needs well and it has been a quite flexible tool.

Regards,
Nick