Re: Automated testing routines?

--On Wednesday, January 05, 2011 6:22 PM +0100 Jaap Winius <jwinius@umrk.nl> wrote:

Quoting masarati@aero.polimi.it:

Perhaps someone at Debian could.  You need to explicitly request "make
test" to run the test suite using OpenLDAP's make.  That's all that ships
with OpenLDAP.  The rest isn't ours.

I think I found the cause. It's the last three lines in Makefile.in (Apr
13 2010):

    check: test
    test: FORCE
            cd tests; make test

I suspect that if I remove them, the tests may be disabled.

This means running "make check" is the same thing as running "make test". If you don't want to run the test, don't run make check or make test. The default OpenLDAP builds do not run either of those.

The Debian maintainers have a proven track record of making all sorts of interesting and broken changes to OpenLDAP and other packages (<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=598361>, <http://www.debian.org/security/2008/dsa-1571>). They also build against GnuTLS, which has previously been noted as considered a security risk by the OpenLDAP team. If you choose to use the builds provided by Debian, understand that you are not using stock OpenLDAP builds, and you may have all sorts of interesting issues because of it.

Sr. Member of Technical Staff
Zimbra, Inc
A Division of VMware, Inc.