> 104K    gr.bdb
> 419M    id2entry.bdb
> 56K     mail.bdb
> 1.4M    objectClass.bdb
> 2.9M    pf.bdb
> 212K    pr.bdb
> 72K     sn.bdb
> 72K     uid.bdb

I have seen the problems you describe before. Although a configured
cache size of 250M and a database size of some 660M is not sufficient,
it still is not such a bottleneck. To my experience a heavy cpu load
is most likely based on heavy disk operations.
If moving the transaction logs onto a separate disk didn't solve it,
look for other concurrent read/write operations. Check whether the
logs report constantly deadlocks.
In some cases a journaling file system reduced performance. I
experienced rather bad results with xfs.

-Dieter
--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung
sip: 7770535@sipgate.de