Re: syncrepl failure logs/configuring alias deref

Paul B. Henson wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:

Yes. My point is: why doesn't this work for you?

It does (and is for now), but requires I edit the system startup script (/etc/init.d/slapd). I'd rather have a configuration mechanism that doesn't need me to tweak parts of the OS not intended to be modified for configuration purposes.

What other method would you suggest?

That slapd never make a syncrepl request with deref aliases enabled (regardless of global ldap.conf settings), as that will always fail. Or a mechanism allowing specific ldap options to be set for slapd either in the config file or via command line options. Per Howard's suggestion, I opened an ITS for each of those.

I would probably reject the latter, since such mechanisms already exist. You're just unwilling to use them.

I should note that /etc/init.d/slapd was not provided by us. A reasonable distro packager always provides the ability to source an external config file for site-specific options in their init.d scripts. Whether yours does or not is not an OpenLDAP Project concern though.

--
  -- Howard Chu