Re: dn aliases?

Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
Ron Parker wrote:

Can't argue with that.  I do appreciate the assistance.  I had the Linux
rpm version of openldap working just perfectly -- then my boss insisted
that I get this dn aliasing thing working because he didn't want end
users to see the actual root dn.  Sigh.

I didn't mean to be rude, but it seems that the help you need is not
just about OpenLDAP, and this is not the right place to discuss issues
not strictly related to OpenLDAP.  Unfortunately, without hands-on it's
hard to understand what's going on.  Probably, looking for rpms that
contain the desired features is the right way to go.  I think you've
already been pointed to some of them, I think you should give them a
spin.
I didn't feel you were rude at all.  I provide support on an open source module myself, so I know what it's like.  You and Gavin have been quite helpful, and I understand there's a limit to the amount of individual support you can provide in this type of forum.
  And don't forget to wipe out the db, especially when it's just a
test db, when you change build version.  It shouldn't matter, except
occasionally when changing minor version number (the X in 2.X.Y),
provided everything was built fine, but it would clear out one possible
source of erratic behavior, just in case.

This appears to have been exactly what the problem was.  Clearing out /var/lib/ldap did the trick.  The system appears to be working as before.
p.

The only thing I can do in return is try to be as helpful to others when they get into a jam.  Thanks so much!

-ron

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.r.l.