Re: ldapsearch performance debugging

Chris Hane wrote:
Howard,

Thanks! The strace did it. It showed me that it was delaying on a poll() event to our dns servers. Once I fixed that, all is working like I expect.

Glad to hear it. Please keep all replies on the mailing list, so that others can also see the resolution of the question.

Thanks again, Chris....

Howard Chu wrote:
Chris Hane wrote:
When I execute the following command:

ldapsearch -v -x -b "dc=abmas,dc=biz" -d 5 -h 127.0.0.1

there is a significant lag between hitting return and when I see the debug output - 6-8 seconds.

I'm pretty sure this is a configuration problem or network problem on my end as this same command in a different environment executes immediately.

To help me isolate where the problem is, is there another method to debug what ldapsearch is doing before I see the first lines listed in the debug output with -d 5? Or is there another utility I could use than ldapsearch?

Try using strace and see what system calls get executed and where the delay is. Alternatively you could try running ldapsearch under gdb and interrupting it to get a stack trace from where the delay occurs.

--
  -- Howard Chu